Friday, October 16, 2009

Fear

MS's creative writing assignment this week was an essay on something that he was afraid of. He was having trouble coming up with something, being more of a worrier than full-out afraid of things. I finally remembered a statement he'd made to me about flying, and I love what resulted.

Many people are afraid of flying because they’re scared of the plane crashing, but there’s also something else to be scared of that some people don’t know about…



Being a TCK, I travel a lot, so I am very often on airplanes. Now the truth is, when they show those safety clips at the start of the flight, what I’m always thinking is that, if that kind of thing ever happens, I know that I’ll be fine because of their precautions, like the lifejackets in case of landing on water, or the slides/rafts for exiting the plane.

What usually freaks me out, though, is when they say not to take any suitcases with you during an emergency. It’s scary to think you could lose lots of expensive things that are inside your luggage. For example, we usually travel with our Wii (videogame console) and that costs about $250. I would be very upset if something like this happened, because I love videogames.

That’s what I’m scared of on airplanes.

1 comment:

M. Lawrence Key said...

Good job, Malachi. Way to write from your experiences!