Sunday, October 11, 2009

I Couldn't Believe My Ears!

JW's assignment this week was to use the subject he'd written about last week (The Thing, aka his little brother, JA) and write a story incorporating the phrase "I Couldn't Believe My Eyes!" He was then to go back during the editing process and add some adverbs to several of the verbs to make the story more interesting. I allowed him to change the phrase to "I Couldn't Believe My Ears," and this is what we got.



Around 11:00 AM, I was walking quickly in New York City, because I had to catch a 747. In the airport, I saw Jeremiah crawling around. I stopped and looked surprisedly* at him. He started talking loudly. I couldn’t believe my ears! I fainted. Later, I woke up. I checked my watch. It was 1:00 PM. I had passed out for two whole hours! I grabbed Jeremiah and hurried to catch the plane, but it wasn’t there. I checked the airport schedules. I had to wait impatiently to catch a plane. Half an hour later, I went to the gate and caught the plane.

*It was explained to me by a certain grammar expert in the house exactly why "surprisedly" could not be a real word. I decided to let it go. Just this once.

1 comment:

M. Lawrence Key said...

I really enjoyed this little piece, Jonah. Good descriptive writing.